Friday, May 14, 2010

humbleness.

When I think of humbleness, these verses from Philippians 2 comes to mind:
"Let nothing be done through strife and vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." verses 3-8
Quite often in conversations, my words don't reflect humbleness. I don't mean to act prideful, but because of my sarcasm, I usually say things like the following:
"P.S. Naps are one of the most awesome things in the world. The other awesome thing is me."
After I sent that text, I felt really lame. I've been thinking lately about my words and how through my words I may represent Christ. There are many times that without thinking, I respond with sarcasm and say lame things like the above statement. Or I'll end up teasing the other person and of course I don't really mean it (sometimes), but how is that representing Christ?

Teasing, joking, or sarcasm may seem harmless, but in Hebrews 3:13, the Bible says to "...exhort one another daily..." These things are something that I really need to take to heart and surrender to Christ. So often, I end up messing around with the other person or people because I've gotten so caught up in the conversation. I need to remember that I need to watch the words that I say.
"But the tongue can no man tame, it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethen, these things ought not so to be." James 3: 8-10
Lastly, I need to keep in mind this verse:
"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32

Happy Sabbath! =)

1 comment:

fisher of men said...

daaaang. "that is all."

P.S. he told me about the text